Re: [GENERAL] slow inserts and updates on large tables - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Herouth Maoz
Subject Re: [GENERAL] slow inserts and updates on large tables
Date
List pgsql-general
At 16:47 +0200 on 17/2/99, Jim Mercer wrote:

> i will test this with my insertama program, but i see some problems with
>this.
>
> firstly, it assumes that all of your applications programs are updated each
> time you modify the structure of the table.

This is true. That's the sacrifice you get for COPY's fast transfers.

> also, it doesn't seem to address the issue of updates, which suffer
>from worse performance than inserts.

Did you try my trick, but without removing the indices? Move the data over
to a temporary table, delete from the original, insert updated data back?
(Assuming you don't have a separate update for each line).

Herouth

--
Herouth Maoz, Internet developer.
http://telem.openu.ac.il/~herutma